Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Lincoln or Argo?


For a long time, I thought that Argo was my favorite movie of 2013. But the more I think about Spielberg's Lincoln, the more I like it. There's an interesting idea behind Lincoln, at least as I see it. Basically, the character of Lincoln is dead in some sense before the story in the movie begins. He's like a spirit who has returned to earth to take care of some unfinished business -- passing the 13th amendment. He's kind of like the main character in Ghost or Carousel or A Guy Named Joe (which Spielberg remade as Always). At first I thought that this idea of Lincoln was mainly conveyed through Daniel Day Lewis' great, recessive performance (my favorite this year). But I watched the film a second time and now I see that this interpretation is fully supported throughout the film, in terms lighting, staging, dialogue and so on. (It may be one reason we don't see Lincoln shot; i.e., he's already dead.) But I still love Argo, too. I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty or Django Unchained yet, so maybe I'll prefer one of those. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment