Friday, November 9, 2012

Critical Concerns

Cinema Criticism Writing


This week, I started with a big question: What is art? That got the class' attention (and laughter). Then, quickly, I narrowed the question slightly to: "How do you know when a film is a work of art?" The answers were really interesting, especially because they were so different from each other and touched on so many film- and art-related issues. (Someone even brought up the Mona Lisa.) For a while, we talked about the case of films whose artistic merit is generally apparent only years after the films are made. We also spoke about how very subjective any question about art must be. We covered a lot of ground in a short time. I couldn't offer a definitive answer to my own question, but I could, at least, suggest some rules of thumb. Not quite sure what the students thought of those. They may be mulling them over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment