Tuesday, July 2, 2013

World War Z review

So after complaining about the high body counts in other blockbusters this summer (Star Trek: Into Darkness, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3), here I am about to praise the one with the highest body count of all. Yes, I like World War Z. Maybe the body count doesn't bother me because, well, what else should you expect from a zombie movie? Anyway, it's clever and has some powerful imagery (the zombies climbing a wall, for example, like a rising tide in a sea of inhumanity). And while WWZ moves swiftly, it also pauses now and then for reflection. (I believe that's called good pacing, something I wouldn't accuse those other blockbusters of having.)  This isn't Brad Pitt's biggest acting challenge, but his connection with the audience is impressive and he achieves it without fuss or irony. Of course, a movie like this one is a strong flavor that isn't for everybody. But much to my surprise, it's for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment