Friday, June 21, 2013

Before Midnight review

These "Before" movies (Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and the new one, Before Midnight) just keep getting better. Before Midnight finds just the right attitude to take about the couple at the center of the story, played by Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. That is, the tone is somewhere between sincere and mocking. Hawke and Delpy are terrific, too. The self-indulgence we see on screen belongs entirely to their characters, not to them as actors. I enjoyed the fast-paced dialogue (credited to the director and the stars) and the way the relationship between the two lovers has continued to deepen and evolve throughout the series. I'm sure I would have liked this movie if I hadn't seen the first two installments, but having seen all three, I'm sort of in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment