Monday, October 1, 2012

Are You Kidding Me?

Phoenix in The Master
A couple of years ago, Joaquin Phoenix starred in and co-wrote I'm Still Here, a sort-of documentary about his fake attempt to give up acting to become a rapper, all the while seeming to slide into self-destruction. I wish I could say that his latest film, The Master, is also a hoax of some kind, but I'm afraid it isn't. Pretentious, pointless and thoroughly enervating, it's directed and written by Paul Thomas Anderson, a filmmaker of great talent and genuine accomplishments like Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love. But The Master is purest folly; the raves it's received in some circles tell us more about the sorry, insecure state of contemporary film criticism than they do about the movie itself. Phoenix's performance as a cult hanger-on is the best thing about The Master, and that, believe me, is not saying much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment