Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lanewatch: Lane Change?

Things seem to have changed for Anthony Lane, a film critic for The New Yorker -- and a proud Brit. I like the magazine, but I've been irritated (and also amused) by Lane's totally Anglo-centric perspective on American movies. In fact, I was able to construct a 10-point checklist of mainly British topics (Shakespeare, Dickens, etc.), at least one of which (and usually about three of which) Lane would feel compelled to reference in nearly every piece he'd written on movies. But he may have changed. He has now written three substantial pieces in a row in which I could not detect excessive Anglo-centricity. I wish I could take credit for this shift, but I have to assume other forces are at work. Anyway, "jolly good!" for Lane. (But I'm still watching...)

No comments:

Post a Comment